“A winning coming-of-middle-age memoir”
(Harmony, 2010; Paperback, Broadway Books, 2011)
“Sweet, smart. We are smitten from the start.”
— O: The Oprah Magazine
“A welcome message for many women.”
— Kirkus Reviews
False Hopes and Fat Profits in the Diet Industry
(Random House, 1997)
- “Italy in Seventeen Courses,” A Moveable Feast: Life-Changing Food Adventures Around the World, edited by Don George (Lonely Planet2010).
- “The Joy of Mindful Cooking,” The Best Buddhist Writing 2010, edited by Melvin McLeod (Shambala, 2010).
- “My So-Called Genius,” Voices in Today’s Magazines (Writer’s Institute Publications, 2010).
- The Perils of the Privileged Poor,” The Secret Currency of Love, edited by Hilary Black (William Morrow, 2009).
- “How to Dress Like a Cowgirl,” It’s So You: 35 Women Write About Personal Expression Through Fashion and Style, edited by Michelle Tea (Seal Press, 2007).
- “Suburban Hottentot,” The Bigger the Better the Tighter the Sweater: 21 Funny Women on Beauty, Body Image and Other Hazards of Being Female, edited by Samantha Schoech & Lisa Taggart (Seal Press, 2007). San Francisco Chronicle bestseller.
- “Mifepristone,” Abortion Under Attack: Women on the Challenges Facing Choice, edited by Krista Jacob (Seal Press, 2006).
- “The Food of Love,” Mexico, a Love Story, edited by Camille Cusumano (Seal Press, 2006).
- “My Last Two-Night Stand,” Single Women of a Certain Age, edited by Jane Ganahl (Inner Ocean Publishing, 2005).
- “An Affair to Remember,” Italy, A Love Story, edited by Camille Cusumano (Seal Press, 2005).
- “Where Boys Grow Up to Be Girls,” The Best Women’s Travel Writing 2005, edited by Lucy McCauley (Travelers’ Tales, 2005).
- “Stepping off the Mommy Track,” Roar Softly and Carry a Great Lipstick, edited by Autumn Stephens (Inner Ocean, 2004).
- “Serendipity,” The Kindness of Strangers, edited by Don George (Lonely Planet, 2003).
- “The Filicudi Effect,” Best Food Writing 2002, edited by Holly Hughes (Marlowe & Company, 2002).
- “Why I Stopped Being a Vegetarian,” Best Food Writing 2000, edited by Holly Hughes (Marlowe & Company, 2000). This essay has been included in about 30 college texts and readers.
- “Italian Affair,” Salon.com’s Wanderlust: Real-life Tales of Adventure and Romance, edited by Don George (Villard, 2000).
- “Kelly Call Girl,” Bad Attitude: the Processed World anthology (edited by Chris Carlsson, 2000).
- “Italian Affair,” A Woman’s Passion for Travel, edited by Marybeth Bond & Pamela Michael (Traveler’s Tales, 1999).
- “A Camel Ride in Sinai,” Women Travel, edited by Natnia Jansz and Miranda Davies, (Prentice Hall Travel, 1990).
- “Self-Hate and Rejection,” Feeding the Hungry Heart, Geneen Roth, editor (Signet, 1982)